The results presented are the preliminary results on the first 64 patients. 100 patients shall be included in total in the study.
The objective of this trial is to assess the safety and obtain data on the efficacy on pain relief of a single intra-articular injection of HAppyMini®, a new viscosupplement combining HA + high concentration of mannitol, in patients suffering from trapeziometacarpal osteoarthritis (OA affected the base of the thumb). Influence of the radiological grade on the efficacy of the product has also been assesed.
Investigators were rheumatologists or orthopaedic surgeons with great expertise in hand OA. Injections were made under fluoroscopy guidance. Follow up was made at 3 months.
Dell grade was 1 in 11 cases, 2 in 21 patients, 3 in 27 and 4 in 4 subjects (1 missing data).
At D90, the treatment was considered as very effective or effective by 60.2% of the patients. Between D0 and D90, pain decreased significantly from 6.4 to 3.1 (-51.5%) (p<0.0001).
Patients with Dell 3/4 saw their pain decrease more importantly than those with Dell 1/2 but the difference did not reach statistical significance.
This pilot study suggests that an injection of HAPPYMINI® is effective in relieving pain in patients with thumbOA, without safety concern.
READ THE POSTER
Patients with the more advanced stages of OA seemed to have more positive results with the treatment than those with less advanced OA.
2) Re-treatment with viscosupplementation in patients with knee OA: suggestions of the EUROSVICO working group following the 2nd edition of the LABRHA European Board on Viscosupplementation
The abstract DECISION ALGORITHMS FOR THE RE-TREATMENT WITH VISCOSUPPLEMENTATION IN PATIENTS SUFFERING FROM KNEE OSTEOARTHRITIS, has been accepted as a poster presentation to the 2017 World Congress on Osteoarthritis.
- How can we define “success” and “failure” of the treatment?
- When and how re-treat patients successfully treated by a previous VS?
- When and how to re-treat patients in whom VS previously failed?
- What management options can be suggested when the patient experienced moderate adverse reactions following a previous VS?
- What is the role of serum and urine biomarkers in re-treatment with HA?
- in case of failure of a previous VS
- in case VS was previously successful
READ THE POSTER
Please note the paper « Decision Algorithms for the Retreatment with Viscosupplementation in Patients Suffering from Knee Osteoarthritis » has been published in Cartilage in February 2017 and is available following this link: Doi: 10.1177/1947603517693043.